Designing for efficiency
Making the right building design choices can be challenging for designers and builders. Choosing one building material over another – whether building framing, installation, or windows – can be difficult, and one minor detail can create a dramatic change in energy efficiency. When faced with technical design decisions, it is important that building professionals are on the same page to ensure buildings are energy efficient and also satisfy structural and cost requirements.
What resources are available to designers and builders?
Fortunately, professionals have many time-tested resources available at their fingertips to make their vision of a well-built, energy efficient home a reality. Every design situation is different, and it is important to analyze the technical aspects of a building site before the building is constructed. Some of the many concepts a builder must analyze include: site location, context, and solar orientation. Once you have separated your project from the rest, finding the right resources will be much easier.
Staying focused on designing efficiently
Following the best practices and technical guidelines that apply to your project is vital to success. Whether it’s using the right insulation type for your walls, or properly installing and sealing windows, make sure to follow all prescriptive requirements and guidelines provided. Energy efficiency starts with all technical team members being on the right page and following the proper guidelines. Diligently following them in the beginning will pay dividends during construction and after the project’s completion.
Building Design Resources
- Timely Solar Training for Design Professionals Coming Soon July 26, 2016
- Measuring The Real Impact Of Building Design June 24, 2015
- Taking a Closer Look at Commercial Construction Data April 17, 2015
- Outreach to Architects in Pennsylvania February 24, 2015
- The Architect as Superhero December 22, 2014
- Moving Building Technology To The Era Of Zero-Energy Buildings November 5, 2014
- Codes, Standards and Rating Systems October 20, 2014
- Closing The Gap Between Architects And Energy October 9, 2014
- Health, Safety, And Welfare Also Includes Building Performance May 7, 2014
- Are Architects and Building Professionals Overlooking a Critical Role? March 6, 2014
- Applying 2013 Energy Codes February 18, 2014
- Engaging More Architects To Meet The Compliance Goal January 15, 2014
- Understanding (a Few) of the Challenges of Implementing the Energy Code in Existing Buildings November 25, 2013
This page is currently under construction. For a comprehensive list of BCAP’s building design resources, please click here.