by Maria Ellingson
The Building Codes Assistance Project (BCAP) and the Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) are seeking five licensed design professionals (architects and/or engineers) to serve as solar photovoltaic (PV) trainers. This project will utilize a peer-to-peer approach to deliver education and resource access to designers in 18 training workshops across the country. Funding for this project is provided by the U.S. Department of Energy SunShot Initiative’s Solar Training and Education for Professionals (STEP) program. The ultimate goal of this project is to reduce the indirect costs of solar transactions.
Trainers will be taught to deliver basic technical and policy information on PV, community benefits of enhanced PV, the state of the market, and the roles of various market players in advancing PV deployment. Trainers will be provided with ready-made, well-vetted training materials.
Building design professionals are ideally situated to introduce solar energy to clients during the design phase of projects. By participating in the training, design professionals will learn how and why to incorporate solar into their building designs. They will also learn how to use site orientation to maximize solar potential, how solar contributes to net-zero energy design, code and fire safety considerations for building-mounted PV, financing options to assist clients in making the decision to use solar, where to access resources and much more.
Preferred trainer qualifications include:
- Training Experience for design professionals (preferably in an advocacy capacity).
- Resume indicating a strong commitment to renewable energy and high performance buildings.
- Experience in solar PV and green building.
- Strong interest in the success of the STEP program.
In addition, trainers must be willing to:
- Attend a two-day train-the-trainer (TTT) workshop to be held in early 2017; location to be determined, and travel expenses will be reimbursed.
- Prepare for the TTT workshop by reviewing materials ahead of time.
Training events will be held in major metropolitan areas across the country through April 2018. Trainers will receive a flat fee of $3,000 per training event.
Interested architects and engineers are encouraged to apply. To learn more about this project and the SunShot Initiative award, click here. Applications must be received by November 30, 2016. Selected trainers will be notified of selection by December 31st 2016.
To apply, send the following to email@example.com:
- Cover letter and resume
- Two or more references (contact names, phones, emails) related to your training experience.