BCAP and the International Code Council (ICC) created this initiative to empower existing code professionals so they may develop their familiarity and expertise with energy codes and share their knowledge throughout their jurisdiction and state.
A supportive local infrastructure is crucial to realizing the benefits of energy codes. However, implementation and enforcement efforts are often lacking in many states, and receive disproportionately little attention in the world of building codes. To fulfill this need, BCAP and ICC created an effort to improve enforcement of building energy codes that incorporates direct interaction with trained and experienced code professionals who understand the challenges and constraints that code officials are often faced with.
Through training and open peer-to-peer sharing, ECAP strives to enrich the existing infrastructure to one that encourages the correct and effective implementation of energy codes. ECAP trains and certifies code officials to:
- Become an expert in energy codes and any provisions made specific to their jurisdictions;
- Educate local builders, designers, suppliers, and contractors on energy code provisions;
- Share their knowledge and mentor other code officials on best practices;
- Represent peer code officials to voice their concerns and perspectives to appropriate state officials; and
- Build a strong local and state infrastructure for energy code support.
For more information, please contact Maria Ellingson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (419) 724-4571.